Pages

Nov 8, 2010

The Impromptu Guide


On my way to the library last week I took a detour to sit on a bench and munch on a cereal bar. It was a spur of the moment decision because the weather was so nice and sunny, although quite chilly, and I hadn't been to that bench alley in years. Although I frequently pass by, I never stop. And the benches were put there just a few months ago.

Today I stopped and sat on a bench by the river. There were a lot of seagulls and colorful ducks. And I do mean a lot. You could almost believe you were at the seaside, what with all the breeze, the noise of the birds and the saline smell. I could tell it wasn't just me who was pleasantly surprised by the scenery, 'cause people were stopping to take pictures, most of them with their phones. I live in such a busy and crowded city that people hardly ever stop to smell the roses, or in this case immortalize the seagulls.

The task for today was to go to the library, re-read my thesis, and pull out a chunk of it to use as a writing sample. So I pulled the thesis out of my bag and started reading it.

I had been reading for about 10 minutes when an older (60-ish) couple sat by me on the bench. My first instinct was to be a bit annoyed, because of all the row of benches on that alley they chose mine (yes, I do get possessive about this, mostly because I like my privacy).

They stared for a few seconds at my thesis (which is in English) that I was holding on my knees and then asked me for directions in English. They were asking for directions to a part of the city that was relatively close but quite difficult to get to due to a huge intersection and various traffic lights. I tried to show them how to get there on the map that they were carrying. Then I started waving my hands left and right, showing them "in field". Then I drew it on their map with a pencil. They really couldn't understand it and I was out of ways to explain it to the tourist lady (the husband didn't speak English).

"Do you want me to walk you there?" I asked. I don't know where that came from, but it did.
"Sure, that would be great? That's so nice of you. Are you sure you're going that way?" the lady asked.
"Yeah, I am." I lied. "There's really no problem".

I wasn't going that way. I was planning to bask in the sun for another 30 minutes and then head for the subway. Yes, I was going in that direction, but not then and not on that route. Yet I really wanted to help them, they seemed genuinely nice ... and lost.

So we ended up walking together and talking for about 15 minutes. They were Greek tourists and had been to this city one time before.

I took them to where they wanted to go and we parted ways, not before them thanking me wholeheartedly. They were so grateful and I felt that I hadn't really done much.

I wish I find such helpful foreign strangers when I need them.

Soon, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment